Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Science Fair!

It's that time of year again...Science Fair Time!  And since I was put in charge of the science fair this year, yes, my kids are doing it!!!  So, Tyler picked "The Rubber Egg"  He dissolved an egg shell in vinegar (the acetic acid in vinegar dissolves the calcium carbonate of the egg's shell). 
Actually, AN egg shell is an understatement.  We probably dissolved about 10 egg shells because they kept breaking.  I broke one, Sina popped one, Tyler took care of one, and we lost about 3 at the science fair ;-)  This was one stinky project!

After the shells were dissolved, he put one squishy egg in water, and one in molasses.  The water egg expanded and the molasses egg shrunk. 
Then he put the molasses egg back in the water and it expanded again!  This was because of osmosis (don't even ask me about that one...I couldn't explain it hardly at all to Tyler...)  Except for the egg that ended up broken, in my friend's purse (vinegar egg all over her leather purse, in the pockets, on everything, including her iPhone!  Yikes!), Tyler's project was "Egg-celent!"
Kaili's project was on Monarch Butterflies.  The previous posts talk about our luck with the poor caterpillars!  After starting with about 15 bugs, we finally ended up with 3 butterflies!  At least we got to see a few! 

 It was sooo cool to see the things change!  The one on the left died but the blue-ish one was in the middle of it's change!
 The butterflies were really fun to play with when they came out, and they were totally tame!  Kaili sat and did homework with one on her head for about a half hour!

Both were very cool projects, if I don't say so myself!

2 comments:

  1. wow these projects really helped me with my sixth grade science fair I mean who knew that eggs could do so much without ending up in a frying pan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree with you anonymous , the project really helped out and were still waiting for the results on the fair but both the project and experiment were great , i guess you could day it was smelly but wonderful, i hope your other projects can help me to ,THANKS

      Delete